Saturday, September 13, 2008

A place for a Leaf







These pictures are my leaf project from start to finish. The leaf project was to create a "place" for our leaf using ONLY paper. The models are from what I started out with and then the modifications. My leaf is a brown magnolia leaf that I found in front of the Studio Arts Building. It looked out of place since it was summer and dead leaves to me belong in the winter. Hence the snowflakes. That was too literal, so I went back and thought of some other ideas with the same "tower" look to my place as before. I tried cutting slits in the side and also tearing it to mimick the tear in the leaf.  All the detail in those took away from the leaf and put focus on the place. Not to mention the color of the sketch models took away from the leaf as well. So, it was back to the drawing board. 

The original leaf ended up breaking to pieces, thus, I had to build another to fit the new leaf.  I found a similar leaf and cut two slits in each side of the tower and one at the base and came up with a new concept. I used a green paper to contrast the brown leaf, and the final concept was it fell in the woods and the light it cast was the sun through the branches. I was really happy with how the place turned out.



No comments: